We will watch part of this documentary. This is a free early screening of a movie that will be released next week. You can watch this week for free at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZ82xleZfs
Join high school-aged girls from around the world as they try to better their community through technology and collaboration in this thrilling, heartfelt documentary.
By 2017, the app market will be valued at $77 Billion. Over 80% of these developers are male. The Technovation Challenge aims to change that by empowering girls worldwide to develop apps for an international competition. From rural Moldova to urban Brazil to suburban Massachusetts, CODEGIRL follows teams who dream of holding their own in the world’s fastest-growing industry. The winning team gets $10K to complete and release their app, but every girl discovers something valuable along the way.
Pick two questions from the list below and answer them on your weebly blog:
- What did you learn from CodeGirl? What insights did it provide?
- If you could ask anyone in the film a single question, who would it be and what would you ask?
- Describe a moment or scene in the film that you found particularly moving. What about that scene was especially compelling for you?
- What are some of the problems the teams around the world identified? How did their apps help address those issues?
- What were some of the obstacles that the teams faced and how did they handle these?