LT-Identify and use the correct Google Search Operators to construct a precise search result.
Stop searching, start finding!
Internet and Google Searching Optimized with Operators
The History of Google Tech Tips 2016 -(https://youtu.be/GvDkE6Gw6RM)
The Google Story 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjN5avRvApk)
The Google Story -the Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N3O81hE0H8)
- Google’s name is a play on the word googol, which refers to the number 1 followed by one hundred zeroes. Google’s play on the term reflects the company’s mission to organize the immense amount of information available on the web.
- Google started as a research project at Stanford University in 1996, created by Ph.D. candidates Larry Page and Sergey Brin when they were 24 years old and 23 years old respectively (a combined 47 years old). Old screen shot or here (wayback machine). Google was originally called Backrub
- According to Search Engine Watch, Google had 6,986,580,000 searches in August 2009
- 11.1 billion searches in August 2011 or 64.8% according to comscore.com. In January 2016 there were 12.1 billion searches or 63.8% (comscore), December 2016 (63.5%)
- Google is the most visited page on the internet with 246,699,000 page visits (comscore December 2016).
- The basis of Google’s search technology is called PageRank™, and assigns an “importance” value to each page on the web and gives it a rank to determine how useful it is. However, that’s not why it’s called PageRank. It’s actually named after Google co-founder Larry Page.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is important. Most people only look at the top few search results. The top link gets about 33%–36% of the clicks.
- Where does Google (and Apple and Microsoft) make their money from?
- How many searches are being done right NOW?
- What searches are trending on Google right NOW?
How Google Search Works (by Google)-Interactive Web Page-added 9.23.2013
Web Search Strategies in Plain English
You try searching – can you find the following by using Google:
- The current value of 1 share of Apple stock (ticker symbol: aapl) – check your answer
- The current time in Rome – check your answer
- I saw an article on the local news where they mentioned one cent sales tax Rock Island County. What is a good way to conduct this search to get the least amount of search results to sort through? check answer part 1, check answer part 2
- If 2.4 GB is uploaded to youtube each second? How many terabytes is uploaded each hour? check part 1, check part 2
- If I am looking for the google search assignment on this website and I know it is a pdf, how do I find the file? check your answer
Google Search Lessons – be sure to sign in
Google Quick Searches (and games) – Control Alt Achieve Blog
Google Search Features-http://www.google.com/insidesearch/features.html
Google Operators-https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en (works 10/2019)
More search tips: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/searchbetter/google-search-tips/
To view the examples I showed you in class click here:
Stop Here-Click the google_search_3.0.2xs and complete the form. Remember to save. You do not have to print unless you are not here the day we grade the assignment.
If you are bored and want to practice your searching, try the google search assignment from last winter during the Olympics.
Want another challenge, visit Google a Day
Try another Search Engine: DuckDuckGo
Common Core (CC) Standards: CCR W 1, CCR W 2, CRR L 4, RI.3.5, RI.5.7 , W.9-10.8, W.11-12.8
AASL: 1.1.8, 1.2.5, 1.2.6, 1.4.1, 2.2.1, 2.3.2
ISTE NETS•S: 3.b, 6.a, 6.c
Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks, attending to special cases or exceptions defined in the text.